Sunday, October 21, 2007

Close dancing versus hugs: another non wedding instruction piece

At an intermediate lesson for blues dancing , the teacher suggested, as an exercise, that the students go about the room randomly hugging each other. This was preceded by a brief introduction to a variety of hugging styles and permission to say no. I commented to a friend that I hated this exercise. . “ I like to cut to the chase”, I told my friend. “It’s blues dancing for Christ’s sake. If you’re not comfortable dancing close, you’re in the wrong class. Go home.” We both laughed, but I was only half kidding. When people are uncomfortable holding their partner close, a given in Blues Dancing, it’s usually because they’re not sure that it’s OK to do so. It’s been my experience that when you give them permission, by instructing them in the proper hold for the dance that they’re there to learn, they do it and get used to it. Yes, I also speak about being sensitive to the comfort level of your partner. If you feel her stiffen up when you hold her close, back off, etc, but I don’t belabor the point. Generally speaking, if a woman is in a Blues Dance class, unless she has no idea what the dance is like and landed there by accident, she’s basically comfortable with the concept. And as long as the energy isn’t creepy, she’s probably going to be comfortable dancing in your embrace. I give my women students permission to walk away when the energy is creepy. Everyone knows what I’m talking about and that it’s inappropriate behavior on the dance floor. It’s fairly rare, too, particularly in a lesson. My friend, also a teacher, had a different take on it. He thought the hugging exercise didn’t work in this context, but felt the concept to be a good one. It’s an interesting point to debate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home